ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
iP5200 CIS recommendation request
Post CIS KITS FROM Echostore.com 
LOOKING FOR SOME INFOMATION GOOD OR BAD BEFORE I BUY.
WHAT IS THE BEST CIS KIT FOR A CANON IP5200
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
RONDO

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

First off, please don't post all in caps, it's the forum equivalent of shouting when a person is 3 inches from your ear..

As to your request there are no known CIS kits for the iP5200 as the printer uses the new Canon chipped cartridges.. So far the only approach to successfully installing a CIS is to build one yourself using the cartridges you got with the printer... I've done that 3 times now with the IP4200 and the MP500 Canon printers but not the iP5200 and intend to put together a "How to... " guide sometime in the next few weeks so watch the DIY forum for more info...

Someone else may come up with solution using the replacement cartridges at some point in the future but it still involves transferring the chips across.

I am sorry about the caps. That was my first post.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
I am sorry about the caps. That was my first post.

No problem... just thought I'd best warn you as it tends to get people wound up..

As to the iP5200 I'll be keeping my eyes open for a reasonable CIS if one becomes available..

What is the advantage in using the sponge side rather than the resevoir side
of the ink tank? Both method are used. Reading prior posts have been quite
helpful.

What is the advantage in using the sponge side rather than the resevoir side
of the ink tank? Both method are used. Reading prior posts have been quite
helpful.

Can you be a little more specific? I don't really understand your question at the moment.

Are you referring to where the ink feeds into the tank from a CIS tube or just asking whether it's better to use a spongeless cartridge instead of a sponge one?

Do you mean for the IP5200 and IP4200 we will need to dig out the chips from the original carts to be implanted on the CIS cartridges to work?

I'm quite worried doing that as I might break off the chips. Is there a good way of doing it? Also once transplanted, does the chips reset themselves or do I still need a resetter program?

I'm hoping to get an IP4200 but due to the fact that there's no CIS available, put off the idea for a while.

Thanks.

Pauline.

I'm trying to desribe the ink tank. Some kits used the sponge side of the ink tank
and some kits use the reservoir side to connect the tubing

Do you mean for the IP5200 and IP4200 we will need to dig out the chips from the original carts to be implanted on the CIS cartridges to work?

Whoa, hold up.. You've taken a theory as gospel and gotten the wrong end of the stick somewhat..

When I said..
Quote:
Someone else may come up with solution using the replacement cartridges at some point in the future but it still involves transferring the chips across.

...I was referring to a possible CIS kit setup if a commercial kit does become available. The rational behind my guess is that any pre-built kit will not have any chips (no alternates available) but the kit still needs to be put together with tubing attached, etc... Also, with the only 3rd party cartridges available at the moment they require you to transfer the chips so it would be much the same thing.

Quote:
I'm quite worried doing that as I might break off the chips. Is there a good way of doing it? Also once transplanted, does the chips reset themselves or do I still need a resetter program?

There won't be a resetter and there's actually no real need to reset the cartridge (just accept the warnings and the warranty invalidation notices).

The chips aren't actually all that hard to remove and transfer so long as you are careful, take your time and don't try to do it with a hammer Razz.. BUT like I said it's not necessary at present and just a theory as to what may be available in the future.

Quote:
I'm hoping to get an IP4200 but due to the fact that there's no CIS available, put off the idea for a while.

Yeah, I'd recommend holding off for a bit.. It'll happen but it's a question of what form they'll take and any potential legal issues when it comes to adapting existing cartridges.

I'm trying to desribe the ink tank. Some kits used the sponge side of the ink tank
and some kits use the reservoir side to connect the tubing

Normally there's some arguments for different placement but in this case the key thing is making sure the connection point isn't in a position where it will jam the carriage unit as it travels back and forth.

On the iP4200 and most other Canon models it's very difficult to put the connection point anywhere except for within a small area of the cartridge.. In this instance I've found that tends to be just over the sponge segment and it works so I'm not complaining.

A picture probably says more though so take a look at this image:
http://www.continuousink.info/forum/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=102

.. you'll notice that the case allows only so much space for tubing to pass above the carriage unit... Take note especially of the placement of the white elbow fixings.. I found recently to my cost that it's easy to get this wrong by just a few millimeters and it'll catch the case plastic or be too far back so that it stops the printhead retaining lever from closing properly.

Hope that helps...

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next